Perspective - Sow the seeds.

So when all this hoopla in media about the dreadful events in Punjab, and the social media responses started, I felt terrible. Now if you know anything that's been happening you are probably thinking 'well, who wouldn't!' When anonymously someone dares and threatens to commit a crime that hurts the religious belief of a community, very deeply and instead of talking matter in their own hands the community goes through the proper modern channels of government; but they do absolutely nothing to even try and stop it. So the crime occurs. Deeply hurting and enraging an entire community and it's members worldwide. Now this enraged community still keeps it's wits about and as hurt as it is, goes on peaceful protests against the people who committed this crime and the government who did nothing to stop it or to catch the criminals latter on. But what it did do was, label a peaceful protest under disruption of peace and brutally assault the protesters to the degree that many got deadly injured and two protesters actually died. But that's not police brutality, that's the police maintaining peace. The same police that was informed and yet did nothing to stop the crime that began it all. And well then, as they say, all hell broke loose.
Now most responses and conversations on the matter have been very disappointing since. I'm not in the midst of it, physically speaking. I'm miles, oceans away from all of it. But does it matter? My feelings were hurt just as much as anyone sitting in Punjab. Tears have been welling and evaporating in my eyes for weeks because of all the emotions that are balled up inside of me. People have been trying to coax me into a conversation on the matter and I keep telling them, I'm not talking about it.' "No'. But not one asked me why.
Because in my gardens, it rains every time after I sow anything,
because  since I was little even the seeds that fell out of my hands bloom,
because my first hukam was in Raag Assa and I was born on Hola mohalla,
I will sow the seeds of hope, because hope is what I'm blessed with,
And I'll hope that the barkat my garden has will proceed it.

But who I did talk to on the matter is, of course, my dad. And those of you trying to get me to talk about it, if you actually ever read my blog or this post - I not talking about it not because I have nothing to say. I won't because you don't care enough. Not to hear what I have to say, but more so because you don't care enough about what's happened, and why it's happened and you have no intention of doing anything about it and the only real worry on top of your mind is "how is it going to effect me financially?" And you have no idea how despicable a thought that is in this situation to me. It'd be easier if it was the thought of may be a few of you, but that's the thought held by most of you. So when you try and coax me in conversation and you get a unemotional no, I'm pretty much putting every once of my efforts into not exploding in that moment. You see that storm, you know what behind that calm because I don't hide it. And you know that's why you won't ask me why I won't talk about it and instead simply say well you should be aware off what going on. As if you don't know me well enough to know - I know more than you do of what's going on even if I won't hear the news or pick up a news paper.
And in that disappointment, when I see responses that I feel are going in the wrong direction, I've been wondering is it even worth putting my prospective out there when no one wants to hear it. When I know it'll be dismissed by most with 'Oh you're young, you just think that way now" or "you don't really know how the world works yet". And why? Because I'm barely reaching mid 20's and haven't lived in the world very long. True as that may be, and young as you say I am, does that automatically mean you know better then me or you're in everything more enlightened and experienced then I am? Does that automatically mean my feeling and prospective and understanding of what could be done or how could we tackle this situation become valueless? Because not that I am anywhere close to or comparing myself to - Shahibzade or Guru Harkrishan ji; but if age is the only reason you wanna give me or our generation, you ought to go back in history and tell our Guru's how many mistakes they've made because Sikh history didn't have ageism and you are the one adding it. And you know it's nothing but an excuse. Or perhaps, you think you know better than our Guru's.
But in all of that, why even give a prospective and waste energy on people who do not want it. Why not just do everything else you can and leave them be. Well, one because it doesn't feel right but yet, that's not enough. So secondly, I discussed it with Daarji. And what he said has now become my poem:
 Even when the land is barren
And you know there will be no rain for decades, 
Sow the seeds.
Even if you know
they'll rot or burn,
even if the birds will eat 'em,
and nothing will grow,
Sow the seeds.
Because Nature is vast
even after you think all is lost,
after years have gone by
and you've forgotten all hope,
some drop of water,
will find it's way to a seed,
and it'll blossom into a tree,
So, sow the seeds.
A tree that gives new hope,
a tree that gives shade,
a tree that'll rejuvenate,
all that was lost,
Sow the seeds.
And that reminded me of The Lorax and since I know he has never herd of it, I told Daarji about Dr Suess. And that he wrote a book which has a very similar concept, and that it's now an animated movie, which he should watch when he gets a chance to. 
So, I'm sowing seeds. Which means there's a whole lot of perspective coming your way this week. And I'm gonna ask you all to stand upside down or get up and stand on the table because it's time we did. And if you don't know what it means, look up 'Dead Poets Society'.

Comments

Popular Posts