Even if I apologize for an eternity....

You know the first time, many years ago when I was somewhere around seven years old, and we (me, my sister and our parents, AKA the family) had gone to Fathegarh Sahib, Joyti Saroop and Thanda Burj, learning a little more in detail about Sikh history, Darji (my dad) apologized to us while describing the feeling that came from looking at what was left of Nihan (Foundation)  where Chotte Sahabzade had become martyrs.

That was the first of many similar apologizes that continued and will keep on continuing for as long as he is alive. What was this apology for? You see, when he was part of 'the youth' the historic site was destroyed by Kar Seva (Sikh version of useless gentrification) and even though he tried, was physically attacked and injured in doing so, he was unable to stop them. That was one from the plethora of things destroyed erasing vital proofs and monuments of history that his generation either didn't try to or couldn't save. And as each one of those came up in our education of life, he apologized (still does) on behalf of his entire generation for not having done nearly enough.

That first apology while standing in that powerful place engulfed by history is seared in my brain because in that moment, while wanting to tell him that he wasn't responsible for everything others let happen, did or didn't do,  I said nothing.

I said nothing because in that moment I knew when I was in power to be able to try and create change I'd be apologizing for my generation not having done enough to all the children of the world. Because I knew, that I would feel exactly the same and it doesn't matter how much I yell, protest, fight to create change and do all that is in my power to make sure injustice is reduced, there is no way we'd be able to stop every atrocity humanity commits for we humans have strayed so far. 

It's a long fight and I hope with each coming generation more of us have support, sense and willingness to stand up for the rights of us all. But, in the mean time, I must apologize, for all that my generation didn't do and isn't doing. No matter what your reasons might be they will to even your own self seem petty when you choose to look at the true picture of world we live in. We all don't need to do grand things to create change, all we need is just a few drops of generosity from everyone. Alas, until that day comes, I apologize.


I apologize:
to the children that can't breath
the people who can't eat
farmer who can't harvest seeds
birds that no longer have a home
to trees that burn
Islands that drown
humans that suffer tyranny
to the fishes that can't swim
animals that can't speak
rain that's no more pure
forests that are mere shadows
land that weeps
and mothers that grieve.
I apologize to you most of all
for not having inspired you at all
to get up and change the world,
and ease the suffering of this earth.
    

Comments

Popular Posts