Art life continued...

Well, can't quite resist sharing the other two poems I wrote at Getty from my last visit, especially because these are in English so no headache on typing in Unicode. So here's one :

If you don't know Rembrandt, he was a wizard with lighting. That's his trademark. And his style is absolutely breath taking.

Rembrandt's self-portrait
The Dutch & Rembrandt

The hues, the shades
the leaves that ruffle

the breathing feathers
of dead bird on a canvas
the lighting, the movement

And the squeaking shoes
a moments disturbance
a seconds glance
that annoying pacing
of the guarding man

Lost again,
in that one source of light
in folds of dresses and details of hems
the unyielding clouds
that moved yet again

the shadow figures
no one recognized
landscapes, portraits,
scenes of a far away life,
captured with brush stroke
of a hungry mind.







Paintings you ought to know to fully understand my lines :
  1. Still Life with Dead Birds and Game Bag by Willem van Aels
  2. The Music Lesson by Gerard ter Borc
  3. Moonlit Landscape with a View of the New Amstel River and Castle Kostverloren by Aert van der Neer
  4. A Wooded Landscape with Travelers on a Path through a Hamlet by Meindert Hobbema and Abraham Storck
  5. And of course Rembrandt. All of it. It's a chain link reaction. I look at one of his paintings and all of them sore through my head.

P.S. - Can you believe that my Professors actually give us projects similar to this. If my grade school teachers got hold of my college transcripts, they'd be shocked. The thing is, exams are redundant and projects are fun. Just depends on what you're grading me on. I can Ace both, it's the matter of if I think it's worth it.



Comments

Popular Posts