The pleasures of reading

So I have a string of friends who find my reactions on various matters very, very amusing. Mike and Timmar always wish to watch horribly made movies (no story line, bad direction, bad quality, stupidly impossible action scene) with me. Why? because my reactions amuse them. Mandi and Ashley find my reaction of dealing with - lets go with unwanted attention - very funny because somehow my annoyance amuses them. Sarah, loves explaining things I do not want to know, because again, she finds my reactions amusing. And Michael's now decided, he want's to go to Dick's - the restaurant, with me because the waiters are deliberately rude to you and he say's, yet again, my reactions will amuse him. Avnit, finds my motherly behaviour and unwavering eccentricities odd and amusing.  
Although, I do not quite appreciate that my annoyance to my friends at most times is amusing, I do understand it. After said things become past, I find them amusing too, and I do live by belief that life should be full of amusement and happiness. Past shouldn't torment you, no matter how awful it may or may not be.
Food and books, go well together.
But to me, the most amusing reactions of mine are, when I'm reading. Now, mostly no-one has had a chance to observe me read for long. Unless you wish to count non-human spices that surround us. If I'm reading in a private place, which is anything from any corner of my home (that includes the garden) to secluded corners of parks in LA, specifically Griffith, the emotions escape freely. I will laugh out loud after being silent for a long while, giggle, or even supress a smile, be outraged, annoyed, sad, and tears will flow without hesitation at times and at times, they'll simply pool in my eyes. I'll close my eye in deep thought, or meditate at times, ramble about things annoying me, stop altogether and write in my ever present dairy for a while. I go through all sorts of emotions while reading every book. 
You will find books everywhere in my home.
It's not just fiction, that moves me. Poetry, as we all know, has the deepest affect on me of course. But history and maths (Yes, Mathematics!) have moved me the most since I was a kid. Science used to, the old science still does and always will. But the direction on new science generally just brings out annoyance in me. But be it fact or fiction, logic and reason or fantasy, thoughts and ideas of all kind bring out reactions in me, that I find most amusing.
But if I where reading in a public place, a bus stop or in a bus or metro, at a party (Yes, I read at parties), a library, pretty much anywhere an outburst of laughter or tears would bring other notice to me, my reaction are a tad bit different. All of emotions are still very visible on my face, but are restrained as much as they possibly could be without really diminishing them. It does have a bit to do with being polite but mostly, I just don't want to be disturbed or bothered with having to answer - What's wrong? What's so funny? 
One of my favourite combinations to induce happiness!
Books & Tea!
Amusingly, no matter if I'm reading out loud, reciting or reading in my head, the flow of words and my voice (even the inner voice) changes with what's happening. There's relief and sigh's, pace change, volume change and all that depending on what's happening. I race through the wars, and excitement, slow down on discussions unless they get heated, whisper if the characters are whispering, or if the matter is simply of delicate nature (like sensitive documents and such). You should've seen me read the History in regards to Bill of right's and US constitution. It was all whispers and loud speeches in my head.  The thing is, all of it just kind of happens. I only notice it after it's already happening and it amuses me.
It's like there's this bubble in which everything in the book has come to life and for the moment and I'm living in that bubble while observing it. It's as real as reality itself. Although the best part is, it fuels, relaxes, recharges, and sends my imagination in so many directions at such a speed that even I can't keep up with myself at times. There are few things in our so called civilized world I love, and books, are one of them.




Comments

Popular Posts