Writing realizations!

So in the process of me writing a romantic fiction and venturing out of my comfort zone I've realized a new potential difficulty. I do wish I wasn't so perceptive and hadn't noticed it at all but now that I have, I can't let it go. Makes me a bit glad though. The story has been flowing so smoothly that I felt like I got off the hook easy. the thing is, I don't drink. I've never thought about drinking. My curiosity on the matter wanders around the vicinity of why do people drink when it make them do silly things they can't remember the next day and are left with a headache. Not question those of you who drink, merely mentioning the extent of my interest on the matter.
Of course, going to college and living in LA and having a large variety of friends I've been around people drinking. College parties, pubs, bars, my friends homes, bbq's and what not. Mike and Timmar twice have dragged me (not literally of course, they can't quite do that) to even clubs and my friend Reda (for god knows what reason) thought it fun to go bar hoping in West Hollywood on a Friday night. What did I do in those places? Well the clubs had good music and It's always interesting to meet different people. Give's more of an insight into human psyche. The W. Hollywood experience happened around a good time. Me and Darji (what I call my dad) had been pondering over the philosophy of the lotus analogy in Sikhi and the experience was sort of a practical explanation of understanding and adopting it. And the tree's and nature's existence around gave me enough to keep me busy while I waited outside, because I mostly just waited outside. Too much smell of alcohol in air give's me a headache and same goes for insanely loud music. The parties and bbq's and get-togethers are of course different and more fun to me. At parties though, I'm more taken to drawing, photographing, writing and as far as drinking goes, although there's generally coke around I'm more taken to tea. It really is an amusing picture, me at parties. And of course I'm the one who remembers everything the next day so I get to have more fun after the parties and tell the stories of what everyone did. And as far as bars go, I endure them because I like supporting Dinosaur Parade.   
Regardless, you get the picture of knowledge I hold on matters of consumption of alcoholic beverages. And in the process of writing I realized my characters aren't Sikh and I can't have them all not drinking. I don't want them to but it'd be too odd and untrue. So I've to come up with a reason for why my main characters don't drink (which isn't all that hard) bu more importantly I have to show other characters drinking and give some details about what it is. That is what I now have to figure out. I have three people in mind I'll be bothering about that because I have to give some reference to taste and it's not like I can tell what any alcohol tastes like from my experience. I see some very amusing conversations ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts