Where Panth stands (Sow the seeds part - 2)

So, just two days after I brought a resolve to my inner turmoil on matters of Punjab, was the Yuba city Nagar Kirtan. I'd never been there before so this year, on Jeetu aunty's presentence, I decided to join the LA sangat bus that leaves from KCF (Khalsa Care Foundation) to Yuba City on Saturday and returns on Sunday. Why did I myself not initiate the visit? Why did I myself not grow the desire to be a part of what is the biggest gathering of Californian Sikhs and beyond? Because I've seen enough of Nagar kirtan and events we Sikh's do, to per say preach and create awareness of are faith or celebrate Gurpurabs,  to know it's no place to find gurmat. Harsh, isn't it? But it's the truth. There is nothing more disappointing than a large gathering of Sikh Qaum that clueless-ly wanders around stalls singing Gurbanni on filmy tunes thinking we are part of something great for doing it, and that we've actually accomplished something by doing so. Oh wait! I stand corrected; because then we had Sarbat Khalsa.
Now, I did, as I always do, go in with an objective mind. Even a bit of hope that recent events may have caused some stir and this Nagar Kirtan may actually be a Nagar Kirtan. How naïve of me! Right? It's like walking down a dark ally at night hoping to find a pretty flower. Actually no, it worse, because I've actually done that. But I couldn't find a spec of hope at this Nagar Kirtan. Not that I have no hope, or see none in regards to Sikhi. I foster more hope on the matter than you can imagine. But it wasn't at the Nagar Kirtan. How odd; right? Isn't this to cause awareness, share hope, create change, educate, celebrate? Those things scream hope and yet, there was none to be found. There were stalls of delicious foods, abundance of free stuff, lots of cloths and jewelry to buy, paintings and pictures to hang on the walls and an abundance od Kambals (woolen blankets). But no stall for hope. And I walked from one end to the other at least three time looking for one!
There were floats from various parts of sikh history, elaborated, expensive, dazzling and more. But no float for education, awareness or knowledge. There were youth section of political parties doing Narebazzi like 'Khalistan zindabaad', 'Inqulab zindabad' 'APP-sada Punjab khushal Punjab' over and over and over again. But there were no Jakarre. There was no philosophy, there was no actual policy. There even was a short Gatka competition and might have been the closet thing to gurmat if only I could put aside the fact that not one of those kids actually understood Sikh philosophy or were comfortable enough with their own selves to be this version of themselves everywhere. What's knowing Gatka worth then? When you can't combat psychological bullying generating from you own self. There was a mass of Sikhs walking through the grounds and in all this only a fraction of them could be found in the darbar hall, were after observing this madness, I spent most of my time.
In the darbar hall, there were speeches of sorrow and let's do something; speeches blaming and claiming Punjab's political leaders. There were Raagi's doing Kirtan on Bollywood music, explaining nothing of what Gurbanni was saying, either verbally or through Kirtan. Dhadi Jathe singing poetry, which although not from Gurbanni was still the most focused history being told, still not accurate history. And in all of that, every single performer (because that's what they were being instead of sevadaars) expressed the sorrow regarding Guru Granth Sahibs desecration and on Guru Granth Sahib Gurgaddi Divas but besides this one Dhadi Jetha in over two dozen of those I herd on the stage, not one person mention Gurgaddi Dehara of Gur Panth. None of them even mentioned the term Gur Panth once!
Imagine how shocking that is! Well, perhaps you can't because you may not even know why is that shocking. It's worse celebrating birthday of twins but only wishing and celebrating one of them and not even mentioning the other one. Because with twins, at least they are two spate human, But Guru Granth and Panth is one. How abusive is that! That's basically what we all did and I find it absolutely unforgivable! How on earth do we ask Guru for help when we don't even acknowledge the present Guru!
And that my friends, is where the Panth stands. In an abyss of self victimizing that turned into self pity and now has taken a form of subconscious self loathing. But for show we all put up this façade of major events at convention centers and Gurdwaras and say "Jhulte Nishan Rahen, Panth Maharaj ke!" at the top of our lungs. Yet, most of us don't even know what our Nishan or Panth actually is, let alone the history or philosophy behind them. And no, that's not just my opinion. I got the best possible opinion on the matter by the tried and true Sikhi method, i.e. I did an ardaas asking Guru From where we as panth stand, what direction is it we need to go? This is what the answer was :

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੩ ॥ ਸੂਹਬ ਤਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਾ ਮੰਨਿ ਲੈਹਿ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਅਪਣਾ ਮਨਾਇ ਲੈ ਰੂਪੁ ਚੜੀ ਤਾ ਅਗਲਾ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਥਾਉ ॥ ਐਸਾ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਬਣਾਇ ਤੂ ਮੈਲਾ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਭਾਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਚਿਹਨੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਚੁ ਮੁਖੁ ਉਜਲਾ ਖਸਮੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੧॥ਮਃ ੩ ॥ ਲੋਕਾ ਵੇ ਹਉ ਸੂਹਵੀ ਸੂਹਾ ਵੇਸੁ ਕਰੀ ॥ ਵੇਸੀ ਸਹੁ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਸ ਰਹੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਿਨੀ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਥੀਐ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੰਤ ਮਿਲੀ ॥੨॥ਪਉੜੀ ॥ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਾਜੀਅਨੁ ਬਹੁ ਭਿਤਿ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੀ ਕੇਤੜਾ ਸਚੇ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥ ਇਕਨਾ ਨੋ ਤੂ ਮੇਲਿ ਲੈਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥ ਸਚਿ ਰਤੇ ਸੇ ਨਿਰਮਲੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਤਜਿ ਵਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਜਿਸੁ ਤੂ ਮੇਲਹਿ ਸੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ॥੨॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 785}
(click on the shabad for meanings)

 SHALOK,  THIRD MEHL:  The red-robed woman becomes a happy soul-bride, only when she accepts the True Name. Become pleasing to your True Guru, and you shall be totally beautified; otherwise, there is no place of rest. So decorate yourself with the decorations that will never stain, and love the Lord day and night. O Nanak, what is the character of the happy soul-bride? Within her, is Truth; her face is bright and radiant, and she is absorbed in her Lord and Master.  || 1 || THIRD MEHL:  O people: I am in red, dressed in a red robe. But my Husband Lord is not obtained by any robes; I have tried and tried, and given up wearing robes. O Nanak, they alone obtain their Husband Lord, who listen to the Guru’s Teachings. Whatever pleases Him, happens. In this way, the Husband Lord is met.  || 2 ||

(Click here to see where I got the translation, and I don't stand by it. In all fairness, I don't stand by any of the English translations of Gurbanni.)

Basically, by dressing like khalsa, you don't become Khalsa. You have to become Khalsa inside and live it so that your actions tell the world who you are. Personally speaking, my Kirpan is sometimes visible, sometimes not. My Kangha is sometimes visible, sometimes not. Even my Karra isn't sometimes visible when I'm wearing long sleeves or something. But it is the Sikhi life style I do live that makes someone ask the question of "what do you believe in?" and it's the answers I give that makes them remember I am a Sikh. Amusingly enough, that same Sikhi life style is what's makes a lot of Sikhs around me question my identity when one of my kakars isn't visible, with a insinuation of, 'Oh you don't have that. You aren't a true sikh.' Even before they know if I do or don't have it on me. Even Guru Gobind singh ji said "Rehat peyari mujh ko, Sikh peyar nahi". And Gurbanni's definition off rehat isn't you're appearance. You appearance should reflect your inner self and when inside you become Khalsa, not just what you wear, but your personality reflects it. My suggestion is, stop trying to question others outer appearance based of how big or visible their kirpan is or isn't or how much Banni they do or don't read in Nitnem and start questioning how much you actually understand and live Sikh philosophies your own self.
And because all important things exist in poetry with me, there is a poem titled Yuba City Nagar Kirtan that I waited to read for 3 hours, by the stage secretary until I was allotted exactly 5 mins to go on stage and tell everyone how disappointing this behavior was and why. I'll post it up here soon.

Here's the link to other related post on the topic :
ਰੱਬ ਜੀ, ਤੁਸੀਂ ਕੀ ਬਣਾ ਰਿਹੇ ਹੋ ?
Decompressing (Sowing seeds : Part - 1)
Perspective - Sow the seeds.


Comments

  1. Wow! That is just..goes beyond mind-blowing, into mind-blasting territory. Maharaj's Hukamnama smashes it as well. Guru Ji is just utterly beyond amazing.
    Thank you for sharing this Bhenji :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts