Book high? Author hangover?

I know, I know. I write about books a lot. But be thankful you don't have to endure my company unlike my poor friends. You can simply guess at the topic from the title and not read if you wanted. They've got to hear me talk and can't just put in ear plugs when they've had enough. I guess it's a good thing that most of them are just as crazy about books as I am. Teasing aside, books do have a special place in my world. Books believe in telling everyone's story, and I believe in hearing what everyone has to say. Despite the fact that sometimes you end up hearing things you rather wish didn't even exist, but it's good to know none the less.
I halted my project of writing the romantic fiction I started a while back when certain political events sent my emotions tumbling into a chaotic mess. Hardly a state of mind to write fiction in. Anyway, I got back to that project recently. Since my characters had lived more then I'd writ, I started by reading what I'd already penned. Since I haven't written a lot yet, that didn't take long. The one thing I was having some trouble with was how to properly write the conversation I could hear my characters having. Long story short, the easiest solution was to read. To read and observe how other authors had worked the dialogues seamlessly into the story so I could find a way to write mine. I started with one of my favorite writers and well, before I could stop my self I read through all the books she's written. Some I'd already read, others I yet hadn't. I haven't gone back to writing yet (though school projects are a hindrance in themselves as I only have so much time) because I can't get my mind out of it's reading state now.
The only surefire method of getting me out of what book lover have named book-high is to start reading things I've already read. Now when people say book-high they means loss of sense hours in reading but with me it last days really. People have also concocted a word such as book-hangover but when it comes to me we need such a thing as author-hangover. Because once I start reading an author I like, I can't stop until I've read everything available. I'm still in process of yanking my brain out of Susanna Kearsley's books, as she's the one I got hung on. I hardly mind it though. I love they way she engrosses a reader in her story. Besides Mariana is wonderful for observing how multiple character conversations can be woven in the story without having said, asked, etc. all over the place. It's something I'd like to do in my own writing.

Comments

Popular Posts