Judgement

We all pass judgment,
we all fear judgement;
we all want judgement,
but only one that pleases us;
we all want to give judgment,
but only one that displeases others;
exactly why,
I live not by
the social proprieties.
 
It's a strange sort of uselessly created conundrum, isn't it? Judging people, I suppose can be fun. I've never considered it so, but it seems to be for most people. I find it to be somewhat of natural instinct to be honest, but not one that has to be cruel in any way. Instincts, by nature are neutral until given an impression of negativity or positivity by the atmosphere. You know, that whole one bad apple rots all the apples in the basket theory. It's not wrong, but lest not forget that nature provides us with sandalwood not being affect by snakes analogy as well. It's to easy to blame the circumstance, people, and everything else that we constantly forget, the power we hold on our own self's is so much more powerful than anything else.
It's not that one ought to simply stop judging, all moral compasses will be horribly askew if we did that. I judge people all the time, I judge myself even more so. The common phrases one hears from childhood, floating around in society is 'take a look in the mirror'. For anyone who knows me, it's a well known fact I don't care about mirror much at all. I have two in my home, I believe, one because the cabinet in my bathroom came with it, the other was given to me by a friend that I was happy to put to use, for the sake of my ever complaining guests. But I don't trust the judgment of a mirror, not because it only sees the outwards appearance, more so, because as a kid, I held the belief that mirrors lied. You know, because of reflection, how your image is reversed. Even though I known the science behind it form the moment I first noticed it, still I've never denied myself the beliefs formed from childhood instinct. Not that you should stop looking in mirrors at all. It's simply that my instinct serve me well so I pay attention to them.
Amusingly enough, my friends and acquaintances fear my judgement more than others. What's more amusing is, how at first, my closest friends fear my judgement more than their own parents. It's amusing, because they do so knowing, I judge everyone on their terms, not mine. Were I to judge everyone one my terms, I doubt I'd have any friends, especially living in LA. Although the bigger problem with that would be, it'd make me a first class hypocrite. And I have no desire of becoming one. We all live by our own set of morals, and what's important is to be able to look inside oneself, and glow in the knowledge of what you see there. Doesn't matter for the millionth part of a Nano-second, what anyone else sees there. Yes, of course their are exceptions, like the are to everything in the universe. But when those exceptions present themselves, you'll know. And with that knowledge, if you didn't heed, you won't find the glow when you look inside yourself.
Really, living a happy but moral, ethical - religious or non-religious life, is as easy as that. No matter what your morals our, they are yours, apply to only you. Imposing them on others, isn't just unfair to them, more so to you, and your own happiness.
I happily judge, without guilt or remorse, or even disapproval by anyone so far, only because I judge you by your ethics, not mine.

Comments

Popular Posts